World Press Freedom Day 2023: World Press Freedom Day is celebrated on May 3 to inform that freedom of the press and freedom of expression are fundamental human rights. The day also provides an opportunity to pay tribute to media professionals who risked or lost their lives in the line of duty. Check out some creative messages and quotes to show solidarity on this important day.
If everything is going well in the news, something must be wrong in journalism.
— UNESCO 🏛️ #Education #Science #Culture 🇺🇳 (@UNESCO)
May 2, 2023
A free press is essential to exposing threats such as human rights abuses, corruption, disinformation and much more.
If everything is going well in the news, then something is wrong in journalism.
— United Nations (@UN)
May 3, 2023
READ| World Press Freedom Day 2023: Learn about the topic, history and meaning here
World Press Freedom Day 2023: Theme
World Press Freedom Day 2023 will be celebrated with the theme “Shaping a future of rights: freedom of expression as a driver of all other human rights”. The day will also serve as a reminder that the exercise of all other human rights depends on freedom of the press, as well as independent, pluralistic and diverse media.
The day was proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly in 1993 following a recommendation adopted at the 26th session of the General Conference of UNESCO in 1991. This year’s theme is “Journalism under digital siege.”
World Press Freedom Day 2023: quotes
1. “We have to defend freedom of the press and expression, because, in the end, lies and misinformation cannot compete with the truth.” -Barack Obama
2. “The only security of all is in a free press.” -Thomas Jefferson
3. “Our freedom depends on the freedom of the press, and this cannot be limited without being lost.” -Thomas Jefferson
4. “Freedom of the press is not only important for democracy, it is democracy.” -Walter Cronkite
5. “Whoever wants to overthrow the freedom of a nation must begin by subduing freedom of expression.” – Benjamin Franklin
6. “Freedom of speech gives us the right to offend others, while freedom of thought gives them the choice to be offended or not.” – Mokokoma Mokhonoana
7. “Freedom of the press is not only important for democracy, it is democracy.” -Walter Cronkite
8. “Freedom of the press is the mortar that holds together the bricks of democracy, and it is also the open window embedded in those bricks.” -Shashi Tharoor
9. “Freedom of the press is a precious privilege that no country can renounce.” – Mahatma Gandhi
10. “I still believe that if the goal is to change the world, journalism is a more immediate weapon in the short term.” -Tom Stoppard
11. “Freedom of the press, if it means anything, means the freedom to criticize and oppose.” -George Orwell
12. “No prison is big enough to contain freedom of speech.” – Mazen Darwish
13. “A free press is one of the pillars of democracy.” – Nelson Mandela
World Press Freedom Day 2023: wishes and messages
1. Without freedom the press is nothing and without the press society is nothing…. Best wishes on World Press Freedom Day.
2. It’s the information that matters, not what you think about it. Best wishes on World Press Freedom Day.
3. Freedom of the press belongs to the people of a nation, not to the owners of publications. Best wishes on World Press Freedom Day.
4. No wall or limitation should be large enough to contain the right to freedom of expression. Be free and speak with all your heart. Best wishes on World Press Freedom Day.
5. We exist on this earth to be able to speak our minds and follow our hearts. Let your words reach the masses. I wish you a very happy World Press Freedom Day.
6. The pen is the most powerful sword. Speak out loud and stand up together against social problems. I wish you a very happy World Press Freedom Day.
7. On this occasion of World Press Freedom Day we must all remember that freedom of the press is not an end in itself but a means to achieve a free society. Happy World Press Freedom Day.
8. Let justice speak by giving enough power to people to speak freely. I wish you a very happy World Press Freedom Day.
9. Don’t let anyone stop you from being heard. Help the community and exercise your right to freedom of expression. Best wishes on World Press Freedom Day.
10. I wish you a very Happy World Press Freedom Day, join the movement, speak freely and let your voices be heard on this day.
11. Nothing in this world should hinder the work of a journalist. Happy press freedom day.
12. The power of a pen is more than anything else. Let’s use it wisely for the benefit of our society. Greetings on World Press Day 2023.
13. Salute your bravery and your willingness to serve society. Good luck and good health!
14. It is time we view the role of a journalist with great respect. They are our soldiers within the borders.
15. Don’t let anyone stop you from being heard. Exercise your right to freedom of expression. My best wishes to you on this occasion of World Press Freedom Day.
READ| Important days and dates in May 2023