There’s a shiny Piplup in Pokémon Go, but that’s not the only reason you should participate in this week’s Spotlight.
On this page, we cover why you should spend some time catching the Gen 4 Piplup during the one-hour period, including the chance to find a 100% perfect Piplup IV, and a preview of the shiny Piplup up for grabs in Pokémon Go.
If you’re interested in the other events currently happening in Pokémon Go, we’ve recently seen the conclusion of the Misunderstood Mischief investigation, which allows you to locate leaders Arlo, Cliff, and Sierra, as well as Giovanni, and completing it early allows you to participate in the Mischief Unbound mission for free.
In this page:
To view this content, please enable targeting cookies. Manage cookie settings
Watch Guzzlord, one of the Ultra Beasts, fight in Pokémon GoWatch on YouTube
Piplup’s 100% perfect IV explained in Pokémon Go
A good reason to participate in this week’s Spotlight is the chance to catch a perfect Piplup in Pokémon Go.
With its highest possible IV stats, you can evolve Piplup into Prinplup and Empoleon and use it in raids, gyms, and even Go Battle League if you wish.
The CP values, which correspond to perfect statistics from 15/15/15, are as follows:
- Level 30 (Max Wild CP) – 921
- Level 35 (maximum CP boosted by weather) – 998
Remember: the wild CP value aligns with your trainer level until you reach level 30. If you are currently below 30, then the maximum CP value will be different. Since the majority of the player base is now above level 30, we kept the previous values to keep things simple.
Is there a shiny Piplup in Pokémon Go?
There is a shiny version of Piplup in Pokémon Go.
As with other starters, Shiny Piplup debuted during its own Community Day in January 2020.
If you participated in this event, you probably already have a handful of shiny Piplups available.
Remember, unlike Community Day, shiny odds during the Spotlight Hour do not increase, making it difficult for you to find a shiny during the hour period. It’s through increasing spawn numbers, not odds, that you’ll be more likely to find a shiny during a given Spotlight Hour, so try to see as many Pokémon as possible to increase your chances!
What does the shiny Piplup look like?
The difference between a normal Piplup and a bright one is that the primary color changes from dark blue to light blue:
Normal vs Shiny Piplup in Pokémon Go.
The Season of Adventure Abundance is here! You can also work on the Timed Investigation: Master Ball mission and compete in Go Battle League. Be sure to compete in Shadow Raids, complete routes, use Daily Adventure Incense for a chance to encounter Galarian Articuno, Galarian Zapdos, and Galarian Moltres. This incense can also give you encounters with other rare Pokémon in Pokémon Go.
Other reasons to catch as many Piplups as possible
Even if you already have a shiny Piplup, there are still some good reasons to catch as many Pokémon as possible during this Featured Hour, including:
- If you haven’t had the chance to add Piplup or its evolutions Prinplup and Empoleon to your Pokédex yet, then this Spotlight Hour is the perfect time to do so.
- Each Pokémon you catch during this Featured Hour will also benefit from double-catch candy. Our recommendation for this, in addition to the creature featured in Spotlight Hour, is to open a Mystery Box and catch Meltans, one of the most useful creatures in the game that requires a large amount of candy to fully activate.
Piplup is the last of the three Sinnoh starters to be highlighted on Community Day in November.
- There are no other bonuses from ongoing events, but if you haven’t already, use the time to help complete the remaining Misunderstood research objectives to unlock Misunderstood Mischief if you haven’t already.
- Piplup is a Water-type Pokémon, so you can use this hour to make good progress on the Water Catch Bonus Medal.
Remember that Spotlight Hour only lasts one hour, from 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm (local time), but don’t worry, as featured Pokémon will probably appear in another event soon!