The Indian National Congress (INC), popularly known as Congress, was founded on this day in 1885 by a group of educated Indians who were inspired by the ideals of nationalism and democracy. It is one of the largest political parties in India and is currently the main opposition party at the national level. The founders of the Congress were Allan Octavian Hume, Dadabhai Naoroji and Dinshaw Wacha.
137 years of progressive politics, selfless service, immense sacrifices, fight for the rights of the oppressed and protecting India’s unity in diversity.#CongressFoundationDay pic.twitter.com/slhp6hMKOH
— Congress (@INCIndia)
December 28, 2022
It is said that the moderates had faith in gradual reforms, while the nationalists believed that swaraj was their birthright. They believed in the strength of the Indian masses. And on the 137th Congress Foundation Day, let’s understand the difference between the two with the help of a quiz.
1. What was the period of moderate Congress leadership?
2. What was the period of extremist Congress leadership?
3. Who among the following moderate Congress leaders known as “The Lion of Bombay”?
A. Gopal Krishna Gokhale
C. Firoz Shah Mehta
D. Badruddin Tyabji
4. Which of the following moderate Congress leaders is associated with Bombay Chronicle (English weekly newspaper)?
AG Subramanya Aiyar
B. Madan Mohan Malviye
C. Dadabhai Naoroji
Mr. Feroz Shah Mehta
GK Quiz on Modern Indian History: Initial Phase of Independence Struggle (1885-1918)
5. Which of the following Indian Freedom Struggle movements was associated with the moderate Congress leadership?
A. Autonomy movement
B. Civil Disobedience Movement
C. Swadeshi Movement
D. Exit the India movement
6. When did Congress divide into two groups: extremists and moderates?
GK Quiz on Modern Indian History: Second Phase of Independence Struggle (1919-1927)
7. In which session did Congress divide into two groups of moderates and extremists?
A. Madras Session (1887)
B. Surat Session (1907)
C. Calcutta Session (1906)
D. Allahabad Session (1888)
8. Which of the following was not a methodology of moderate congressional leadership?
A. Aimed at ending British rule
B. Aimed at administrative and constitutional reforms
C. He wanted more Indians in the administration and not the end of British rule
GK Quiz on Modern Indian History: Third Phase of Struggle for Independence (1927-1939)
9. Who was the president of the Indian National Congress at the time of the Surat session?
A.Bal Gangadhar Tilak
B. Bipin Chandra Pal
C. Gopal Krishna Gokhale
Mr. Rash Behari Bose
10. On the banks of which river was the 1907 session of Congress held?
The above 10 GK questions and answers on moderate and extremist Congress leadership will help aspirants understand the changing nature of different contests.
1000+ GK Questions and Answers on Indian History