The Tawang crisis between India and China occurred when soldiers from both sides clashed in Yangtze, in the upper part of the Tawang sector in Arunachal Pradesh. The entire State and within it, Tawang, has always been a matter of dispute between India and China.
Defense Minister Rajnath Singh told Parliament after a few hours that:
“PLA troops attempted to transgress the LAC in the Yangtze area of the Tawang sector and unilaterally change the status quo,”
The PLA claimed that the clash in the early hours of December 9 took place after Chinese troops regularly patrolling on their side of the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the “Dongzhang” area were blocked by Indian soldiers who had “illegally crossed the border.” line”.
Colonel Long Shaohua, spokesman for the PLA Western Theater Command, stated
“The response of our troops is professional, firm and standard, which has helped stabilize the situation… We ask the Indian side to strictly control and restrain the frontline forces and work with the Chinese side to maintain peace and tranquility.” in a report by the Beijing PTI.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Wang Wenbin also said that “the current border situation between China and India is generally stable,” according to a PTI report.
This clash in Tawang came two and a half years after the deadly June 2020 encounter between both sides in Ladakh’s Galwan Valley.
: Vijay Diwas 2022: Know the history, significance and key facts of the day here
Tawang: site of the confrontation between India and China
- The encounter took place in Yangtze, in the upper part of Tawang sector in Arunachal Pradesh, where soldiers from both sides clashed.
- The entire Arunachal Pradesh, including Tawang, is claimed by China, which is one of the most serious points of dispute between India and China in the border scenario.
- Tawang, birthplace of the sixth Dalai Lama, is an important pilgrimage center for Tibetan Buddhists.
- In 1959, the 14th Dalai Lama took refuge in Tawang after crossing from Tibet to India and spent a few days in the monastery there before continuing.
- In Tawang, there are three “agreed areas” of different Indian and Chinese perceptions on the LAC.
- 25 km from Tawang City, Yangtze is located north of the Lungroo Grassland.
- And the place is a regular meeting place for the Indian Army and the PLA, especially as the high ground is on the Indian side, giving it a commanding view of the Chinese side.
What exactly happened?
A similar incident took place last October when both sides, the PLA and the Indian Army in the area came face to face in Yangtze, leading to a minor scuffle in which no one was injured.
Although the December 9 incident was the most serious encounter between India and China in recent years in this region.
Six Indian soldiers were reportedly injured and are in hospital in Guwahati.
Defense Minister Singh claimed that Indian troops had engaged the PLA, resulting in a “physical skirmish” to prevent the Chinese from trespassing into Indian territory.
This forced them to return to their posts but caused injuries on both sides, fortunately without fatalities, the Minister stated.
: Vijay Diwas 2022: What is the structure and commands of the Indian Army?