The Unova Collection Challenge is the first Collection Challenge to launch in Pokémon Go and is part of the Unova Celebration event.
Collection Challenges are a new type of challenge in Pokémon Go that tasks you with capturing a certain number of Pokémon related to the event they are a part of. In the case of the Unova Collection Challenge, you will hunt for Generation 6 Pokémon.
There are several ways to locate the Pokémon you need for the Unova Collection Challenge, including raids, hatching eggs, and completing field research tasks exclusive to the Unova Celebration event.
In this page:
We used to catch Pokémon wrong
How the Unova Collection Challenge works in Pokémon Go
Collection challenges in Pokémon Go launched in January 2021 and ran alongside various in-game events. Each Collection Challenge tasks you with capturing a number of Pokémon that, thanks to the event, appear more frequently in the wild.
Once you have completed the Collection Challenge by catching them all, you will be rewarded with a number of items and progress toward your Elite Collector medal.
The Unova Collection Challenge takes place in conjunction with the Unova Celebration Event and will be available from Tuesday, January 5 at 10 am (local time) until Sunday, January 10 at 8 pm (local time).
Note that the Unova Collection Challenge will be gone forever once the event ends, so if you want those rewards, keep an eye out for required Pokémon!
Collection Challenges can be found in the ‘Today’s View’, accessed by pressing the Field Research button (the little binoculars) in the left corner of the screen. You may need to scroll left, depending on whether you’ve been analyzing your current field or special research tasks.
After accessing the ‘Today View’, you will find a list of all the Pokémon you need to capture to complete the Collection Challenge. Catching a Pokémon in the Collection Challenge rooster will cause it to be removed from this list, helping you keep track of which ones you’ve caught and which ones you haven’t.
The Pokémon you catch will be marked as you complete the Collection Challenge.
It is important to note that the evolution of a Pokémon does not count towards the Collection Challenge; Evolving a Lillipup into a Herdier, for example, will not help you complete the Unova Collection Challenge.
Explanation of the list of Pokémon and rewards for the Unova Collection Challenge in Pokémon Go
The Unova Collection Challenge in Pokémon Go consists of nine Pokémon originating from the Unova region.
These Pokémon are:
It’s important to remember that you must catch each of these Pokémon to complete the Unova Collection Challenge; meaning that turning a Lillipup into a Herider will not count towards the challenge.
Once you have captured all nine Pokémon, you will be rewarded with 3,000 Stardust, 25 Poké Balls, and 5 Rare Candy.
Tips for completing the Unova Collection Challenge in Pokémon Go
Here are some tips to help you complete the Unova Collection challenge in Pokémon Go:
- Take advantage of the featured hour on Tuesday, January 5 from 6pm to 7pm (local time) to easily cross Lillipup off your list of Unova Collection Challenges.
- Don’t forget to use Incense to attract Pokémon to your location. If you’re lucky, you might see some of the Pokémon you need for the Unova Collection Challenge.
- Placing a Lure Module at a PokéStop is also a great way to bring the Pokémon to you. If you’re looking for a specific Pokémon, try using a Glacial, Magnetic, or Mossy Lure Module depending on the type of Pokémon.
- Keep an eye on the raids happening around you, because Herdier will appear in three-star raids and all of Unova’s starter Pokémon (Snivy, Tepig, and Oshawott) will be in one-star raids. Remember: it is now possible to attack remotely!
- If you’re having trouble tracking down a Roggenrola, try collecting and hatching some 5km eggs, because during the Unova Celebration event, these rock-type Pokémon will be added to that egg pool.
- The Pokémon in the Unova Collection Challenge List appear as rewards for completing field research tasks exclusive to the Unova Celebration, which you can learn more about below.
Field Research Tasks for the Unova Celebration event in Pokémon Go
During the Unova Celebration event in Pokémon Go, you’ll be able to collect a number of exclusive Field Research Tasks by spinning PokéStops. These tasks can even be completed after the event ends by keeping them saved in your Field Research Rooster.
However, we suggest completing them during the event, because it will help you complete the Unova Collection Challenge.
These are the field research tasks for the Unova Celebration event:
- Reward for catching 5 Pokémon: encounter with Snivy, Tepig or Oshawott
- Reward for hatching 2 eggs: Ferroseed encounter
- Use 5 berries to help capture Pokémon reward: 1200 Stardust
- Use 3 Golden Razz Berries to help catch Pokémon reward: 3500 Stardust
Thanks to Amiibofan101 from reddit for the help with this information.
You can earn an encounter with Snivy, Tepig, or Oshawott by completing Field Research tasks.
Good luck completing the Unova Collection Challenge!